Tuesday, November 13, 2007

threadz are awesomez

While Liv and I prepare to post our first Aesthetic Profile, I wanted to share a few of my favorite embroidery artists since its been the subject of few posts so far. Needle crafts have always been in the fam - my nana crochets (hello CMYK afghan!) and my mom has always cross stitched store bought patterns. When I was prob 10, I did my first cross stitch pattern: a 'lil Scottie dog. Precious, right? Yeah, you know.

I was with my friend Hush Puppy in Austin about six or seven years ago; we walked into the Yard Dog and saw this Bill Hicks piece. He's a super big fan of Hicks (the door is a jar) and I became a super fan of Jenny Hart. We've met a few times since and keep in touch once in a blue moon. (Oh, and I totally pulled an Eli Cash and mailed her an invitation to my undergrad graduation. Oh yes, crazy bones.)

Then there's Megan Whitmarsh. Yetis, Star Wars, Kiss. Need I say more. Lots of other good stuff here from her show @ New Image Art last year.


Dudes who embroider, i.e. Kent Henrickson. I'm spacing on the others. Help me, people. I've been googlin' up a storm - this looks like it was a fun show. Michael Raedecker was in that one... he embroiders on canvas. My dilemma warrants further investigations. WHERE ARE THE DUDES.


OMG. I can't say that I'm saving the best for last cuz I like 'em all, but Dana Carlson has been on my list since forever. Totally a fave. Perhaps in my top 20? 15? 10? Yes. Her sense of color is amazing. Plus all of the animals. I am a sucker for animals and color. Duh.



This could prob turn into The Embroidery Chronicles Part One of Google or something. Cuz I'm leaving people out (tracey emin, ghada amer, kate o'conner, etc) but the post is getting to be on the long side and I'm feeling cranky because I have to hand code the links. So I will share more later.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.madmuseum.org

November 21, 2007 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://modernaesthetician.blogspot.com/2007/11/beauty-is-attitude.html

November 25, 2007 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home